In 2015, in partnership with The Initiative for Equal Rights and carried out by NOI Polls, we commissioned a social perception study. The study is an indicator that there is a long and rough road ahead of us. We found out that:
- 90% of Nigerians believe that no one is born LGB
- 87% of Nigerians support the same sex marriage prohibition act
- only 9% of Nigerians would accept an LGBT family member
- only 15% of Nigerians believe that LGBT people should have the same rights as other Nigerians
These results show the harsh reality that LGBT people in Nigeria face and the huge task ahead of us. This needs to be challenged NOW!
To address these challenges we need your support. Every pound given goes to creating an inclusive and diverse environment for LGBT people and their friends and families in Nigeria. With us little as £5 monthly donation we will be able to:
- continue monitoring social perception of LGBT people
- study the impact of homophobia in Nigeria
- conduct media training
We cannot do this without YOUR help. As a small organisation operating on a shoestring budget, your donation will give us the boldness and courage to challenge homophobia, transphobia and biphobia in Nigeria.